Friday, August 5, 2011

"Hey it's good to see ya baby, how long has it been?"




I still clearly remember the moment I learned one of my all-time favorite bands, The Great Divide, was breaking up and the immense sadness I felt.







I also clearly remember the moment I heard they were getting back together for a reunion show. Words couldn't begin to describe my joy!



A few nights ago, Danny was asking me about The Great Divide and why they were so special to me.



It goes without saying that I'm a huge fan of their music, lyrics and live shows. But I think for me, The Great Divide represents finding common ground. Let me explain......



Back in the fall of 1999, my younger sister Holly was attending West Texas A & M University in Canyon, TX. I invited her to Schreck's Ballroom in Foss, OK to check out a band out of Stillwater called The Great Divide.









At that time I was working on-air for KRPT radio in Anadarko, OK. I'd been hearing a lot about The Great Divide and had gone to see one of their shows at the Yukon High School auditorium. The opening act for the show was, at that time, a relatively unknown band. You've probably heard of them: Cross Canadian Ragweed. ;-)





After that first show I was hooked! I'd spent years spinning the current country hits on the radio and had found myself a bit bored with it all. This was something new and different and ORIGINAL. I'd been searching for something new musically, and I had finally found it!






I also found the members of the band to be quite genuine. They stayed after the show and signed autographs and took pictures with their fans. I gave lead singer Mike McClure a business card and told him to give me a call sometime and maybe we could set up and on-air interview. This was on a Saturday night. Monday morning he called me! I had given out many, many business cards at various concerts and events and no one was ever that prompt in returning a call! He showed a genuine appreciation that our station was playing his band's music. Years later, he would be instrumental in helping me launch my own Red Dirt/Texas music show called "The Skyline Radio Hour."




Needless to say, I was excited to share my new discovery with Holly! There is five and a half years age difference between me and my little sister. Growing up, I can safely say we didn't get along all that great! I'm sure Holly has many horror stories she can share with you about the abuse I put her through as a kid! We seems to constantly be a odds with one another and I picked on her incessantly. However, we always shared a deep connection and would go to battle for one another in a heartbeat! Holly was in her first year of college and I guess I felt like we could go out and do 'adult' things together so I invited her to Oklahoma to party with me and my friends!






On that fall night back in 1999, in a huge dance hall out in the middle of western Oklahoma, it seemed Holly and I finally found a piece of common ground we could stand on. That night seemed to be the jumping off point for the great relationship Holly and I share today. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many Great Divide shows we've seen or the miles we travelled to see them play. For the first time, we really shared a common interest. In this music, we found something we could both be passionate about.



In another odd twist of fate, Holly would eventually meet and marry the guy running sound for The Great Divide, Jimmy Hamilton!! In 2003, we met him at the Deli when he was running sound for The Mike McClure band after The Great Divide had split!




We're also still proud to call Mike a friend. I know the split from the band was not a pleasant one and there were many years of resentment that followed. The fact that these four men were able to put the past aside and come back together after so many years is quite a testament. Mike has gotten sober and it seems to have made a real difference in his life. I'm sure he's a better husband, father, son, friend and band mate because of it.




Those years following The Great Divide around were some of the best years of my life! I never thought a reunion would be possible, yet here it is, less than a month away! I'm so excited and I can't wait to share the music with Danny. He's quite curious as to what all the fuss is about!






I know there are hundreds and hundreds of fans just like Holly and I who are looking forward to August 26th with great anticipation. And maybe with a little luck, we'll recapture a little bit of that 'ol college days spirit in the process.



Cheers!



Shayla


















3 comments:

Holly said...

Here's what I suggest; I suggest on the way to Stilly, I buy a cheap bottle of vodka and some OJ and drink all the way there. I'll be good 'n drunk by the time we arrive. It'll feel just like the year 2000 again, when I was just a mere underage drinker. I hope DRB is ready for what he is about to witness. The band will be good, but the Sisters Sanders may be the real entertainment! It'll be just like the good 'ol days. Woo Hoo!!

Shayla said...

Yes! And I'll get a hideous haircut and wear a t-shirt covered by a button down! It will be just like the good 'ol days!!!! And of course we must eat at Coney Island 5 times in one night!!

Danny Box said...

I've been listening to the revolutions album by The Great Divide and I have some favorites I'd like to hear, ie, Yesterday Road, San Isabella, Dragons Heart, Nowhere Woman, of course College Days, and my favorite, Without You. I've been warned that the SisterSanders will be in full effect. For this I am getting prepared. I am making a so called survival list to put in a backpack. My SisterSanders Survival Kit:

1)Aleve(you know why)
2)Bottle of Tums(8 trips to the corndog stand)
3)Three bottles of water(to wash any vomit that may get stuck in hair, on clothing, you get the picture)
4)Three rags(throw away ones)
5)Two towels(same as above)
6)A second pair of shoes for both the SisterSanders(I'll leave it up to your imagination)
7)My phone fully charged with Jimmy's number on speed dial(for emergency evacuation of the SisterSanders back to the hotel room)
*******************Survival Kit is subject to change on more stories emerging of the Infamous SisterSanders Duo.