Saturday, September 26, 2009

Down in Flames


This is my Nana and Papa's house in Briscoe, TX. They bought this house and the over 300 surrounding acres back in the mid-seventies. They loved this place. All of us grandkids have spent countless hours in and around this house. Most my fondest childhood memories revolve around this house and this land. Soon, this house will be reduced to ashes. It seems it's cheaper to have the fire department come out and burn it as a training exercise as opposed to simply bulldozing it. I won't go into who made this decision and their reasons for doing it. I'll just say I'm not too happy about it. In fact, it kinda pisses me off.

It seems like such a violent end to such a peaceful place. I can't imagine my Nana and Papa would like this idea very much. Like I said, they loved this place. It was a dream. It was a sanctuary. It was home.

I am happy knowing that my memories of this place can never be smoked out of my heart.

Mom, Aunt Cathy, Fallon and I are going to Briscoe tomorrow. Aunt Carla is going to meet us there. We're gonna get the remaining valuables out. It's gonna be hard to drive away knowing that the only time I'll ever see this house again will be in pictures.

And, of course, in my memories.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I hate it too. I really wish I could've gone with you today. I never would have dreamed that Nana's ashes scattering in May would be the last time I ever saw the house. I have always dreamed of taking my kids there one day to stand on the bridge, walk through the house and barns, and dip their toes in Gageby Creek all while listening to stories of my wonderful memories there as a child. I can't imagine going there now and not seeing the house and barns on the property. Now it will just be a winding creek through farm and ranch land. Sad.

Steve Whipple said...

It's none of my business but I hate to see Carl & Fay's place with nothing but a winding creek running through it. Now it will look just like all of the other farms nearby. Uncle Whip is sick and sad because of what some might call progress.

Shayla said...

As you can tell, I was a bit pissy when I wrote this blog! After going to Briscoe and seeing the house again, I'm in agreement that it is probably beyond repair. It still makes me sad that it will soon be gone. The view from the bridge looking north will never be the same.