Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Robert Earl Keen - "The Rose Hotel"



Robert Earl Keen's new album, "The Rose Hotel" is in stores TODAY! I can't tell you how happy this makes me! We REK fans have been waiting 4 years for a new studio album! I ordered the combo pack vinyl record and cd. Yes! REK on vinyl!!!

Anyone who knows me knows that REK is my favorite of the Red Dirt/Texas artists. I was actually shocked one day when Jimmy and I were having a discussion about REK and Jimmy said he doesn't even consider him a part of this scene.......he transcends this scene and the many carbon copies that have followed in his wake. This surprised me only because Jimmy likes to tease me by saying REK sounds like what Forrest Gump would sound like if he were a singer! Nice to know Jimmy does, in fact, recognize greatness in some instances!

My friend Misti compares being a fan of REK to being in a club and knowing the secret handshake. I like that analogy.

When you hear him sing you might be taken aback. He's not the greatest vocalist I've ever heard! But when you really settle in and listen to the lyrics he writes you'll see what I'm talking about. Amazing!

I've loved REK for many years now. Had several awkward meetings with him. Even interviewed him on the radio! He's at the top of my list and I cannot wait to hear this new album!

No comments: